Happy new year! Let’s start things off by checking in on our recent spending.
Before our winter holiday break, I estimated everything I might spend between Friday, December 22 and Tuesday, January 2.
Here’s how I did:
- I estimated I would spend $15 on airport food, and I spent $22.04. (I did drink Huel on both the outgoing and returning flights, but I bought a granola bar each way plus a $14.99 box of Airborne chewables.)
- I forgot to estimate that I would need to pay for Metro fares in DC; I ended up spending $22.
- I estimated I would spend $35 on the taxi back to my apartment, and I spent $0. (Took the bus!)
- I estimated I would spend $2.50 on Corn-Fusion popcorn, and I spent $5.75. (Ended up buying a bag to share with my parents.)
- I estimated I would spend $118.29 on a month’s worth of dinners and household goods through HyVee Aisles Online, and I spent $111.39. (They did a few substitutions that worked out in my favor.) I also spent $3 tipping my delivery person.
- I estimated I would spend $650 on rent and $16 on renters insurance; I spent $650 on rent, but my renters insurance turned out to be $18.34.
- I had a question mark for NYE, but I ended up spending $50 to participate in the Murder Mystery Dinner. (I was neither the murderer nor the person who successfully guessed the murderer.)
- I did not estimate that I would spend $8 to go ice skating and $16.04 on lunch. (Totally worth it.)
- I did not estimate—though I should have—that I would spend an additional $22.10 at Amazon after using gift cards I got for Christmas.
- I also did not estimate that I would need to spend $53.49 on a space heater after the heat went out in my apartment, but my landlord is going to reimburse me for the cost.
- And I spent $24 on Lyft rides to/from Bed Bath & Beyond (to get the space heater), because the buses don’t run on New Year’s Day.
Total spending: $1,006.15.
How about you?
Support The Billfold