Cheap Eats: Mussels
Here at The Billfold, we love cheap and easy recipes. Here’s a cheap and easy recipe for mussels by reader Ryan Menefee.
Without further ado, a cheap and easy date night recipe (or any night recipe) that you can make at home, for right around $12.
• 1.5 lb. of mussels (at Whole Foods, cost $3.99/lb this past weekend in D.C.)
• 1 16 oz. tub of salsa OR 1 16. oz tub of pre-made bruschetta topping (depending on Mexican / Italian flavor preference)
• Olive oil
• Cilantro or parsley from the produce section (optional; match to your salsa / bruschetta preference)
• Tequila / red wine / whatever you’re drinking with dinner (optional)
• Day-old bread (like a french baguette) for sopping up tasty juice
• You can keep them in the fridge for a couple of days; put them in an empty bowl (do not add water) and cover with damp paper towels
• They should be closed before they’re cooked; open after they’re cooked — discard any that don’t follow this rule
• Preheat oven to 450
• Rinse the mussels in water, drain, and put into a baking dish (lid optional)
• Add the full tub of salsa / bruschetta
• Add splash of tequila / red wine / whatever you’re drinking (optional)
• Add as much cilantro / parsley on top as you desire (optional)
• Put in oven for ~15 minutes; mussels are done when they’re opened
• Serve with baguette
Support The Billfold on Patreon
The Billfold continues to exist thanks to support from our readers. Help us continue to do our work by supporting us on Patreon.