Hi! I am back from my Disneyland vacation! I’d make a joke about “what happened in the news while I was away?” except… yeah, I don’t want to joke about any of the stuff that happened in the past four days.
So let’s check in with my spending, instead.
Last Friday, I estimated that I would spend $5.75 on laundry, and I spent $6. (I got those towels really dry.)
I estimated that I would spend $60 on groceries, and I spent $64.43.
I estimated that I would spend $200 on Lyft rides to and from airports, and I spent $143. (Turns out the trip from SNA to the Anaheim Super 8 is pretty cheap.)
I estimated that I would spend $90 on food and drinks in/around Disneyland, and I spent $97.88. I wanted to try some of the famous park food, like the Dole Whip and the corn dog and the fried chicken, but I also wanted to save money, so I bought the corn dog and the fried chicken a la carte instead of with the recommended meals. (I learned from YouTube that you don’t have to buy the whole meal.)
Here’s a quick food review, btw:
- I ate my first Dole Whip, which was so good that I upgraded to a Dole Float a few hours later.
- I also ate my first churro, which… I went in thinking “this is probably not going to be my jam, but I want to see why everyone else likes it,” and that turned out to be accurate.
- The corn dog was amazing, but it also made my entire body break out in a grease sweat.
- The fried chicken was just fried chicken.
- The marshmallow wand was exactly my jam.
- I wanted to try the Grey Stuff, but they were out. (I hear it’s delicious.)
I didn’t buy everything in the park, of course. I bought a gallon of water at the Walgreens on Sunday evening when I arrived, and then I bought another liter of Walgreens water on Tuesday morning. This probably saved me at least $10.
I estimated ??? for souvenirs and gifts, and decided that I was going to keep it simple and get everybody postcards. I spent $18.13 on five postcards, which… made me glad I wasn’t buying any other souvenirs or gifts.
I also spent an unanticipated $15.06 on a Pei Wei rice bowl at the airport before flying home. I wasn’t budgeting for an extra airport meal; I was thinking I’d do it on purse snacks, but I walked 12 miles on Monday and 8 miles on Tuesday and there were not enough snacks left.
Total spending: $344.50—which is below Friday’s estimate of “$355.75 plus three question marks.” Not bad.
Support The Billfold on Patreon
The Billfold continues to exist thanks to support from our readers. Help us continue to do our work by supporting us on Patreon.